Saturday 9 March 2019

Day 78 one in the north and one in the south

I mostly do these trips on a weekday so to do one on a Saturday was a nice change. No danger of buses being full to the brim at school closing time today! So my first destination was Finchley Central for the No 125 and I left home at 0918 to catch the 0930 to Balham which was actually 4 minutes late arriving but with an almost on time arrival at Balham. From Balham I took the Northern line Bank branch to Finchley Central where I arrived at 1047, exactly 47 minutes since leaving Balham. On arrival I found the start point of the bus route was not Finchley Central but down the road to the left by the now closed Church End library.

Photo taken with mobile phone of layover point of the No 125

At 1107 I boarded Metroline's VWH2033 based at Potters Bar and headed north along Ballards Lane towards the Finchley North bus station.
Ballards Lane which is effectively Finchley High Street

At the bus station at Tally Ho corner we didn't enter it, as the reverse direction does, but drove by to the west and waited for a short while here whilst drivers were exchanged. The bus from here continued north towards Whetstone where it turned east along Oakleigh Road North as far as Russell Lane and then we descended into Osidge, the valley of the Pymmes brook at 1132. Climbing back up to the east of the valley we ran up to another No 125 with its hazard warning lights going. Had it come to grief climbing the steep hill one wondered?
Metroline's TE892 on Osidge Lane

Once atop this hill the bus headed towards Southgate where I had recently been when aboard the No 121. However, from here the bus follows a different route down Winchmore Hill Road as far as the pub of that name.
I had thought I had arrived when we stopped here but its still quite a 'hike'.

Instead of from this point going the quick way to Winchmore Hill the bus turns north along Eversley park road  then southeast along Green Dragon Lane before finally coming to a halt at Station Road roundabout having arrived from the northeast at 1152.
VWH2033 of Metroline awaiting its return to Finchley

Once arrived it was now necessary to get to Eltham so a brisk uphill walk took me to Winchmore Hill station where a most unexpected sight occurred. There was a slight commotion on the platform because just in front of the opposite platform was a large butterfly. Granted it was a sunny day but it was blustery with a chill wind and this was my first ever Camberwell Beauty!
The opposite northbound platform at Winchmore Hill station 
Previous photo zoomed in somewhat


Class 313 arriving bound for Moorgate; there was another 3 minutes later due on the other platform so hope the butterfly got out of its way

I then caught a class 313 to Moorgate at 1207 which should by now have been replaced by the class 717s at least 8 of which were at Hornsey depot or Ferme Park yard. At Moorgate I changed onto the Northern line to London Bridge arriving there in time at 1249 for the 1251 Bexleyheath line service to Slade Green as far as Eltham where I arrived at 1315. There are two buses that link the railway station with the start point of the No 126 but since one had only just drawn up and the other was not evident I decided it would be prudent to walk, as their services are at 15 or 20 minute intervals. Thus I walked up Well Hall Road to Eltham High Street and then walked the length of this to its junction with Southend Crescent.
The No 126 disgorges its passengers in the High Street and then lays over here

 Down this road was where I had alighted from the No 124 but the No 126 starts from the other side of the road.
From the layover point the bus runs down
Southend Crescent

The bus then turns around the roundabout
and heads back to start the journey from
bus stop FH

Aboard Metrobus No 755 awaiting the turn into Eltham High Street from Southend Crescent

Metrobus no 755 provided the No 126 service which departed bus stop FH at 1341 and turned left back down the High Street I had earlier walked. Unlike the No 124 the 126 turns left at the church and heads straight to Mottingham and indeed took only 14 minutes to reach the shops near the library. The route then follows identically that of the No 124 to Grove Park station, and therefore once again we had to negotiate the roadworks at the top of Chinbrook Lane.
The bus then heads for Bromley beyond this point down Burnt Ash Lane and I took a couple of photos here since this was where Debbie and John lived most recently.
Kynaston Road entrance to Sandringham Road a little further up.

Shops along Burnt Ash Lane

Final arrival at Bromley High Street was at 1429.
Metrobus No 755 having deposited me in Bromley High Street

I could from this location have caught the No 119 home but since I had reached 'The Wall' on my Oystercard I decided to catch a train up to Victoria and then change from platform 1 to platform 12 for my journey home where I arrived prior to 4 pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment