Wednesday 12 October 2022

Day 152 Another opportunity to travel through Hounslow, this time starting from Brentford.

 This trip started later than normal by catching a bus around 1410 to East Croydon and then took the train to Clapham Junction. The idea was to ensure I could catch the 1502 to Kew Bridge which I would most likely have missed if I had caught the train from Waddon at 1430. 

Platform 5/6 at Clapham Junction

So the 1502 to Weybridge conveyed me to Kew Bridge where I alighted at 1519 and intended to walk to the starting point of the No 235 at The Great Western Quarter Brentford North. However, on my arrival I found the bus stop closed and there was a sign indicating I needed to walk to the bus stop on Brentford High Street coded BL.

The Great Western Quarter where I
should have been able to catch the bus

It hasn't happened that often that the bus
has been diverted from its start point







I therefore walked the route from the start to beyond the county court where the bus route is temporarily ending and starting. On the way I passed a compound with a number of Routemaster buses and reached the bus stop on the run as a No 235 had just arrived.



At least ten routemasters in a 
compound

Resting Routemasters








The current final stop eastbound, the county court

Chasing after London United's 30238

This bus route is now operated by RATP London United and No 30238 was my mount to Sunbury which left at 1552 heading west. The route runs straight west past Syon Park and once we reached Isleworth was a repeat of doing the route No 117 through Hounslow. The bus station was reached at 1606 and then unlike many other buses this route transits the pedestrianised area before turning left into Douglas Road.

This is where the bus really filled up from Hounslow west towards Hounslow Heath and then on to Feltham. The driver was exchanged close to Hounslow Heath depot at Islay Gardens but very efficiently and we were on our way at 1628 having stopped at 1626. The river Crane was crossed and the bus then took the right fork unlike the No 117 but rejoined this route again, once the bus had turned left at Faggs Road. Both the No 117 and No 235 then follow the route into Feltham which was reached at 1641 after quite a hold up caused by the roadworks which seem to be never ending here. Beyond the High Street the bus turned left down Sunbury Road and once it had passed Hamilton Road the bus left Greater London and entered the Spelthorne district of Surrey. Sunbury Cross was reached at 1655 and the Three Fishes final destination in Sunbury Village was reached at 1700.

The layover point for the No 235 after depositing me at the final stop

The Three Fishes bus stop where the No 235
isn't shown but it is announced as the final stop on the bus


From the same bus stop I was able to catch the No 216 at 1709 to Kingston. At Kingston I caught the 1748 to Wimbledon and then the tram to Beddington Lane. After walking for a while towards home finally I boarded a No 455 at Therapia Lane to arrive home at 1845. The journey thus took half the length of time the outward trip took.

No comments:

Post a Comment