Wednesday 16 August 2023

Day 189 A short trip from Woolwich to Plumstead on the No 291.

 After waiting in for a replacement double glazed unit to be fitted in our porch I drove to Eltham with the intention of parking in Well Hall Road, but on arrival found roadworks were in progress. So driving on I turned left at the old Brook Hospital site and found a side road to park in Wricklemarsh Road. From here I walked to the hospital and saw the bus called at stops H1 and H3. H3 was the nearest stop to the layover point so I waited there and boarded London General's E275 at 1209.

Layover point opposite bus stop H3

Two No 291 buses with single decker the No 244

Total journey time to Garland Road 21 minutes

London General's E275 with tell tale destination which was not
reflected by announcements within bus that stated Woodlands
Estate

The No 291 takes Repository Road unlike other buses I had used so far that took Ha-Ha Road and this meant we reached Artillery Place. I used this road on the No 54 and here the bus turned right towards Woolwich. However, unlike some other buses on reaching John Wilson Street the bus went left rather than straight on into the town centre. It was the second turning on the right that allowed access to the town centre for this bus route via Monk Street and we halted in Calderwood Street for bus drivers to be exchanged. This exchange took three minutes and by 1219 we were underway through to Woolwich Arsenal. The bus turned right up Vincent Street to Burnage Street where the bus headed uphill away from the river. 

Awaiting driver exchange at Calderwood Street

New leisure centre being built at Woolwich

New leisure centre at Tramshed Woolwich







At Foxfield Primary school the bus turned left along Raglan Road which mutated into Brewery Road until we reached Griffin Road. The bus turned right and climbed further uphill where we met the No 53 which terminates at the river end of this road.  

Bus route on its own along Raglan Road
and Brewery Road





In Griffin Road bus joins with No 53


The bus stop at which we terminated unexpectedly

As can be discerned it was only 4 minutes
 prior to the end of the route

At Heavitree Road stop the bus announced it would be terminating at exactly 1230. This was the 21 minutes from departure the timetable had suggested, but I knew I wasn't in the Woodlands estate so alighted and waited for the next bus. 

E275 returning to Woolwich having gone
 I knew not where, as it was carrying passengers


E234 Abreasting Griffin Road soon to pick me up

The bus I had got off passed me going the other way before I saw the next one arriving. This was E234 and boarding at 1241 the bus immediately announced it terminated here. However, the bus driver let me on and we moved off. But it was only three minutes later we came to a halt on Plumstead Common and the driver said this was as far as we were going. I enquired and he said because of works going on TFL were not allowing the bus to go any further. 

Journey's End for today-Plumstead Common

I thus walked across Plumstead Common to get a bus back to Woolwich, but the first bus to come was E234 on the No 291 to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital. This did afford me the opportunity to do a number of one way roads that I wouldn't have covered, if I hadn't gone both ways on the bus.

Back at the bus lay over outside the Queen Elizabeth Hospital Woolwich

I walked back to the car and drove to Orpington to pay in some cheques for me and some for church and then met the guy who was going to scrub our daughter's car clean after a container of double cream had been spilt inside.



No comments:

Post a Comment