Thursday 14 September 2023

Day 192 A return to Romford to travel on the No 296.

 The 1030 train to Victoria took Charmaine and me to Battersea Park in order that we could deliver some books to the Rose Community Centre (library) on the Savonna Estate. Once that was done and I had had a cup of coffee and a chat with Stella I set off to the Battersea Power station Underground station. From here I took a Northern line train to Tottenham Court Road whereupon I changed to the Elizabeth line to take me to Romford. I arrived at Romford at 1244 and waited for a No 296. There was no indication of one in the next 15 minutes on my arrival but after 1250 it was shown as being 8 minutes away. Out of the blue a Stagecoach Dart No 36577 arrived and it was so unexpected, the person who boarded before me asked the driver whether she was sure she was a No 296. There was a No 375 indicated which is a very infrequent bus to somewhere one wouldn't want to get stuck.

Outside Romford station with a 15 minute of so regularity of service taking 33 minutes

I loved the website address for applicants to Essex Police it ends /fitthebill . Arriva DW on the No 66

Stagecoach 36577 arriving unexpectedly

The timetable suggested the journey should take 33 minutes and at 1255 we were off heading north initially and then taking the eastern bypass round past the market and then at the roundabout up North Street to the A12. The bus then followed along the A12 behind a No 66 going to Wanstead until we reached the Mark Gate estate where the bus turned right then left to the Mark Gate Community Centre.

Advert for halloween event in Chelmsford by Mark Gate junction

 After passing this we turned left at the end of the road with standing maize dead ahead, we then halted at the next stop for two minutes whilst the driver had a drink. The rural nature of this part of the route was exemplified by the next stop being called Red House Farm. 

Field of maize beside the stop at Padnoll Road

The bus was the only service to travel this way until we reached Hainault Road and this then took us back to Eastern Avenue and we continued along the A12 past Newberry Park and onwards to Gants Hill.

Passing a shop called Fags and Mags in Ley Road near Gants Hill

We arrived at Gants Hill at 1324 and here turned left into Cranbrook Road which led us into Ilford past Valentine's Park. However this time we were asked to wait to regulate the flow so after 2 minutes we on our way again at 1326. We went past Ilford station and after rounding a bend turned into a special layby and terminated at 1336.

Ilford town centre bus termination point
Roden Road

Strange angle to park bus but there
 was another on a different road
 in front of it


From here I walked to Ilford railway station, where I arrived at 1345. The next Elizabeth line train was at 1351 but this was only going as far as Paddington and I needed to get to Hanwell or so I thought. I still caught the 1351 train and waited 2 minutes or so for the following train to take me to Hanwell at Paddington and arrived at 1438. It took 11 minutes to walk to Ealing Hospital but when I got there none of the bus stops indicated the No 297. Perplexed I switched on the mobile phone and found to my horror the bus started at Ealing Broadway which I had passed almost half an hour earlier. I quickly crossed the Uxbridge Road and caught the next No 207 to Ealing Broadway. By the time I arrived at Ealing Broadway it was 1520 and I decided that was then too late to catch the No 297 so that will have to wait for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment