Friday 15 March 2024

Day 218 This was a much nearer trip than the previous one, from Tooting to the Elephant and Castle on the No 333.

 Initially I caught a No 407 bus, but at the next stop I was told we would be exchanging drivers and as the replacement was nowhere to be seen I boarded the No 410 that appeared behind us. This bus conveyed me to Queens Road Wallington where I crossed the road and quickly caught a No 127 which took me to Tooting Broadway, where I arrived at 1125. 


On arrival a No 333 was already picking up passengers at stop C but this was across a busy road so it left before I reached it. There was another Volvo with MCV Evoseti bodywork it the turn around area and it was this one which arrived later to pick me up MHV80 of London General.

London General's MHV80

Bus journey should take 37 minutes







Before the bus arrived the rain started falling quite hard and I retreated under an awning over a shop front so when the bus arrived I wasn't able to arrive quick enough to get my usual front seat. However, once on board it was quickly evident that with the rain streaming down the outside of the windows and large quantity of wet passengers inside the windows quickly steamed up making any photography impossible.

MHV80 arriving in the pouring rain

The bus left at 1138 and the timetable suggested it should take 37 minutes to get to its destination. We immediately return the way I had come on the No 127 along Southcroft Road from Amen Corner as far as Mitcham Lane. Here the bus turned left or north for Streatham and it took almost until 1200 to reach the Streatham High Road at St Lawrence's church. The route then followed the Streatham High Road across the South Circular and then started to descend Brixton Hill. As we got about mid way down the hill the windows started to clear and I was able to take some photographs. One was of the Brixton Community Orchard which I am not sure I have noticed before.

MHV72 going the other way up Brixton Hill

Brixton Community Orchard







Throughout the journey I have been using roads I have previously covered and as we turned left to take Stockwell Road I was following the routes of the No 322, the No 196 and one of the earliest the No 2.

Advert for Trumans Brewery dated 1666 at Stockwell Green

Stockwell station
Upon reaching Stockwell Station the bus turned right onto the A3 and then followed that road to its final stop passing the Oval Kennington and finally the Elephant and Castle Underground stations, The final stop on Newington Causeway was reached at 1229, so 51 minutes after departure.


I then walked to Elephant and Castle railway station and caught the 1240 Sutton bound Thameslink train to Mitcham Junction. Here I boarded a Tramlink service to Wandle Park and finally a No 407 back to my starting point. 





The Shard looks to be sticking out of the top of a building at Elephant and Castle


Passing all the ongoing work
where the Elephant and Castle
 shopping centre used to be

Journey's End on Newington Causeway

MHV80 heading off to its lay over point

No comments:

Post a Comment