Wednesday 16 January 2019

Day 72 I caught the No 118 to Brixton on the way to visit my mum in Northwick Park Hospital

I walked to Wandle Park and took the tram to Morden Road where I arrived at 1157. From here it was a half a mile walk to Morden Underground station where the No 118 departs from.
E149 of London General is the No 118 bus on the right

The bus lays over outside the station in a broad parking area where a number of other buses do the same. The No 118 route is provided by London General and it was their E149 that I boarded at 1210. The route headed southwest at first to intercept Bishopsford Road before swinging north to Mitcham where I arrived at 1224. Along this road is a road called Tramway Path which follows the original route of the Surrey Iron Railway of 1803.
Tramway Path on the right with the Tramlink under the adjacent bridge

At Mitcham the bus heads east towards Pollards Hill but before this settlement is reached it turns away northwest and we ended up at Streatham Vale which was an identical route from Northborough Road that I took when aboard the No 60. This route through Streatham Vale I used to take when I cycled to Holborn. At the bus stop called Braeside, a class of primary school children climbed aboard just prior to Streatham Common station. At 1243 the A23 was reached and headed north towards Central London. The bus stopped next at Streatham station where the children alighted presumably to visit the leisure centre or ice rink. Increasingly the drizzle was becoming thicker and it was becoming difficult to see out of the front of the bus. Just past Brixton bus garage we crossed the South Circular Road at 1256 and then ran down Brixton Hill to reach Brixton station at 1303.
Bus terminated outside Brixton Station; number not listed as it
is a final stop on the route

Brixton Underground station across the road from the stop

From here I proceeded on the tube network to Northwick Park Hospital where my mother was taken after possibly having a stroke the previous day.

No comments:

Post a Comment