Thursday, 21 September 2017

Day 6 buses 13 and 14

After a delay waiting in for the 'imminent' delivery of my son's graduation photographs, (his twin's arrived in early August!), I set off for Victoria by train at 1204. The No 13, since April 2017, has started from Victoria; prior to this it ran from Aldwych to Golders Green. Currently it passes Golders Green and it runs further north to North Finchley. This was my first bus in the numerical sequence operated by Thames Transit and also the first time I have travelled in a MCV EvoSeti body on a Volvo B5LH chassis, No 38210.

Thames Transit 38210 awaiting start of service beside Victoria station 

This bus left from outside Victoria station at 1257 and for a fair period moved quite steadily. The main hold up was around Swiss Cottage to Finchley Road station which led to the entire journey lasting an hour and a half. I disembarked at North Finchley Bus Station at 1427 which is a piece of rather 'brutalist' architecture in the vein of the recently demolished Northampton Bus Station, albeit a smaller size.

Entering North Finchley with the succeeding No13 having overtaken us.

The bus stops outside North Finchey Bus Station

After crossing through the bus station with the intention of taking the northern line to Warren Street from Woodgrange Park I noticed as I crossed the road a No 134 which was headed for Tottenham Court Road. So in the interest of saving money I took the bus which gave, it has to be said, a marvellous view of Central London from atop Muswell Hill. I arrived outside University College Hospital to catch the No 14, having crossed over the Euston Underpass by foot at 1537.

The No 134 with the 'GPO Tower' ahead of it

The Euston underpass already queuing at 3.30

The starting point of the No 14 outside University College Hospital south of Euston Underpass

At 1537 I boarded this Wright Hybrid on a Volvo Chassis, WHV163 and headed south and then west. There was light traffic for the most part until we had passed South Kensington. The bus was then diverted because of road works, first down Beaufort Road then after this we turned right past World's End before rejoining the normal route via Gunter Grove. By this time the rain had started and it became increasingly difficult to see out of the front of the top deck through Fulham and Putney. Road works on Putney Hill made for slow progress to the final destination of Putney Heath which we achieved at 1715. Luckily by this time the rain had largely ceased as I had to cross the road to get the No 93 bus back to Wimbledon and then the tram and bus home.
The end point for the No 14 at Putney Heath

The Green Man at Putney Heath bus stands

No comments:

Post a Comment