Saturday 1 September 2018

Day 56 August 30th 2018 The No 92 and back near home via the No 93

The No 92 was quite a trial to get to, as it starts in Brent Park, which as my wife's commuting to Kingsbury over the last four years has proved, Brent is a long journey from Croydon however you do it. I caught the 1250 to Clapham Junction and thence the 1332 to Willesden Junction, and finally from there the 1355 Bakerloo line to Stonebridge Park. From here I had to walk across the Harrow Road and down Monks Park which runs past a park which on my 1984 A-Z was called Tokyngton Recreation Ground but has been re-branded as Brent River Park.
The renamed Brent River Park


 The place where the No 92 starts from wasn't on this map and I just hoped I'd find it and after asking a lady walking across the park I got guidance and eventually found where the No 92 was resting.
TE1984 the No 92 bus I caught

The next No 92 arriving having run
around the roundabout in the background













I boarded Metroline's TE1984 at 1431 and it straight away did a circuit around Brent Tesco which again was not on my A-Z. From here the bus travels through the Wembley Stadium Complex, which is a tremendous building site and then on to Wembley High Street. The bus follows the route of the No 18 to Sudbury and then strikes out on its own to the borough boundary before turning south towards Greenford. Eventually we halted at Greenford bus garage and drivers were exchanged relatively quickly at 1525. We continued south and reached the Ealing Hospital terminus at 1534.
Approaching Ealing Hospital

There were at least five buses waiting
at the terminal, some of which were
also No 92s.

The next returning No 92 for Brent Park

Here I bought my lunch in WH Smiths, made a comfort stop and jumped on a No 607 hoping to get to Ealing Broadway quickly. Here I caught a District line to Acton Town and then crossed the platform for a Piccadilly line train to Earl's Court. Another District Line train from here took me to Putney Bridge station once again where I was able to board a No 93.
This was the platform which used to take
through trains to Wimbledon but has now been replaced by
the adjacent platform which was hitherto the terminal platform.
This has happened because the new S7 stock is too long for the
original platform.

London General's DOE11 waiting for a No 39 to depart in order to collect passengers

The London General DOE11 was my mount to North Cheam and departed at 1644. It was strange to see school pupils in uniform back at school on the 30th August in Putney as most would surely not go back until next week.
Looking east at high tide at the underground railway bridge over the Thames

 This route I have used many times so did quite a bit of reading during the journey. We reached Wimbledon station at 1714 after exactly half an hour's travelling and then Morden tube station at 1740. There was quite a hold up because of the roadworks outside South Wimbledon tube station. I arrived at Priory Road North Cheam at 1759.
The roundabout where Church Hill road meets Priory Road, North Cheam

Leaving my previous mount behind as the
bus powers up Priory Road towards Malden Road

I immediately leapt on the No 93 that was leaving for Putney which was ahead of it so I could return to the Northern line at Morden. Here I caught a train to Leicester Square, as my wife, Debbie and I were intending to see the musical "Everybody is talking about Jamie" at 1930. Unfortunately Debbie had a nasty fall while walking to Grove Park Station to catch the train to London and ended up in A&E rather than the Shaftesbury Avenue Apollo. Hopefully she will get the chance to see it later and will soon recover from the unpleasant experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment