Monday 24 September 2018

Day sixty one After a two week rest time to start the next hundred-The No 101.

Monday 24th was a day when my wife had a committee meeting at CILIP HQ, (formerly the Library Association), in Central London and so after travelling with her to Tottenham Court Road underground station I took a Central line train eastbound. The first train I boarded was going to Epping and since the No 101 start at Wanstead I had to change at Leytonstone to take a Hainault via Newberry Park service to Wanstead.
My bus guide had told me the bus started in Wanstead so it was a bit difficult to find the first bus stop on the route when I arrived at 1257. There are five bus stops in Wanstead that get visitations from this bus. The first one I chose was at George Green, but when the bus arrived there were people already aboard, so I knew I had to choose one of the others.
What a glorious day after a foul weekend-the bus already
with passengers at George Green


Consulting the map of the layout of bus stops on the bus shelter I decided to choose the one in Woodbine Place which necessitated a short walk down Spratt Hall Road.
The layover point for the No 101 in Woodbine Place

Boarding the No 101 at 1312

The bus WVL469 of London General picked up at the other four stops in Wanstead passing over the A12 heading past Bush Woods and then turning left with Wanstead Flats alongside us. There were some roads reminding me of home, Selsdon Road, Woodcote Road, Overton Drive and Felstead Road.
Passing Wanstead Flats with Docklands in the distance

The built up area recommenced as we reached Manor Park railway station and then continued SSE through East Ham. The bus passing round the eastern side of the High Street, unlike my run in the No 58 which took me up the High Street. I took the same route as the No 58 to its start point and then on South towards Beckton.
Passing another 'local' road name Mitcham Road, just past the terminus of the No 58 

As we passed the DLR terminus
 at Beckton we turned right into
 Beckton bus station briefly
before heading on to Gallions
Reach via an area called Cyprus.
Beckton DLR Terminus


The road we used looped around the DLR depot at Gallions to finally reach the Gallions shopping centre.
DLR Gallions depot

The bus arrived almost exactly an hour after leaving Wanstead at 1358.
The terminus at Gallions Shopping Centre
I took a trip to Tesco to obtain lunch and then decided as time was not on my side to abandon the hope of doing the No 102. I therefore boarded the No 262 to near Custom House and walked to the dock beside London City Airport.

EMB170 G-CIXW of Eastern Airways landing

EMB170 G-CIXW Eastern A/W

Bae146 Cityjet EI-RJX



Bae146 Cityjet T/O



Luxair DHC8 LX-LGE

Bae146 JOTR aviation G-JOTR

One of the 4 Bizjets Cessna 550 G-SPRE


Bae146 JOTR aviation T/O


I stayed there for an hour and then took the DLR to Canning Town, the Jubilee line to Canada Water and finally London Overground to reach Home about 1730.


No comments:

Post a Comment