Thursday 27 September 2018

Day 62 to Brent Cross for the No 102 to Edmonton Green

I initially looked at the A to Z and thought it would be easier to catch the Northern line to Hendon Central and walk from there to Brent Cross rather than the actual underground station labelled Brent Cross. However, having caught a train to Balham and then the Northern line via Bank to Brent Cross I found that a walkway was provided over the North Circular Road, and after an initial lack of signposting telling me to use the footbridge, the rest of the journey was well signposted. Alongside the bus station runs the River Brent and as a previous forecaster from the Flood Forecasting Centre I thought I ought to take a photograph of the weir where the height of the river is measured to warn of down stream flooding potential.
Weir on River Brent

Notification of ownership by
Environment Agency














The river runs underneath a mass of concrete walkways and roadways towards Staples Corner and the start point of the M1



The bus was waiting to leave as I arrived so I took a quick snap of Arriva London T268 before boarding at exactly 1300.
The bus driver said as I got on board 'I wished you'd warned me I would have straightened my six hairs'.

We immediately crossed the North Circular Road heading south through housing estates before turning left to reach Hendon Way. After a brief journey down the Hendon Way at the next traffic lights we turned left and headed up Vale Rise to the Finchley Road at Golders Green.

The cenotaph at Golders Green with bus station and underground station beyond
 It has been quite a time since I was last here but we then followed the  No 13 route up Finchley Road until again we met the North Circular Road . We only joined the A406 briefly though, before heading just south of it along Falloden Way and then Lyttleton road briefly left up Bishops avenue we reached East Finchley tube station. After this we then turned right climbing up to Muswell Hill along Fortis Green Road.
View from Muswell Hill towards London but too hazy for camera to catch the detail. The subsequent brief view I got to NE as I descended towards Bounds Green was much clearer but I was too slow to get the camera out!


The descent from Muswell Hill heading east towards Bounds Green tube, where the Piccadilly line was on strike today, revealed in the distance the destination of Edmonton and the high ground of Epping Forest beyond.We again joined the North Circular for a while following the No 34 route passing Palmers Green bus garage before reaching the Cambridge roundabout where the A10 crosses the A406. From here the route follows the back street called Silver Street parallel with the North Circular and Pymmes Brook. The bus then returned briefly to the North Circular Road as it headed under the railway bridge at Silver Street station. After this it turned left into Upper then Lower Fore Street past Edmonton police station and on to Edmonton Green where the bus terminated at 1419.
Approaching the war memorial at the Edmonton Green roundabout

Following a  less than a year old Arriva bus on a W6 route with bus terminus beyond. I had seen these buses when I was on the No 34 route awaiting to be put into service at Palmers Green depot yard.


To return home I took the No 149 'Borismaster' heading for London Bridge but alighted at Seven Sisters. Here I took the Victoria line to Stockwell and changed for a northern line to Balham where a train was only five minutes away to take me home where I arrived at 1630.

No comments:

Post a Comment